Cleveleys Library Set to Reopen!

Cleveleys Library Set to Reopen!

Good news, Cleveleys Library is set to reopen, once again under Lancashire County Council control. The news was announced on Friday 9 November 2018.

Cleveleys Library is Set to Reopen!

Final details are yet to be revealed but this is great news and huge credit is due to those who fought for this decision.

County Councillor Peter Buckley, Cabinet member for community and cultural services, said: “Libraries are a vital service at the heart of our communities, offering free access to books and information, as well as being a place where communities can get together. This is why we’re keen to get these libraries back open again as soon as we can.

“Our officers will be sorting out the necessary work needed to reopen these libraries, which will take a little time, so that people can benefit from them once again.”

Paul Maynard, MP for Blackpool North and Cleveleys said: “Ever since the decision was taken to close our local libraries I have been fighting to ensure the doors will re-open. I am delighted that Cleveleys library will be brought back into use, just like Lancashire County Council did with Thornton earlier this year.

Sponsored

“I was delighted last year when the Conservatives made a pledge to open them again. This announcement delivers on that promise and I congratulate all those involved in making this a reality.

“These important facilities are about far more than borrowing books, they are a real hub for the community. I am sure the people of Cleveleys will make good use of their re-opened library and look forward to visiting as soon as I can.”

A False Start for Cleveleys Library…

In April 2018 UR Potential had put all of the steps in place to acquire and run Cleveleys Library under an asset transfer from Lancashire County Council. The intention was to create a new Hub as a community asset.

However, all the best plans of mice and men and all that, alas it was not to be. UR Potential withdrew from the arrangement and Cleveleys library remained closed.

Cleveleys Library is closed at Present

Before it closed on Saturday 19 November 2016, the staff held an “Open Day” the day before with coffee and cake. They joined library users in celebrating everything that’s been great about Cleveleys Library. They wanted to finish on a nice day with all their loyal customers and say thank you for your support.

Staff at Cleveleys library when it closed
Staff at Cleveleys library when it closed

Community Interest Company UR Potential lodged an Expression of Interest with Lancashire County Council to take over the running of Cleveleys Library.

UR Potential is a not for profit organisation, their values are based on community cohesion and the development of communities who take the lead. They have four areas of work: Volunteering, Training, Research and Consultancy and Direct Delivery of Youthwork.

As soon as there is any information about what happens next we will let you know.

Inside Cleveleys library
Inside Cleveleys library
Inside Cleveleys library
Inside Cleveleys library

While you’re here…

Have a look at the Visit Cleveleys website homepage for more of the latest updates.

If you love the Fylde Coast you ought to sign up for our weekly email newsletter. It’s packed full of interesting things and will arrive in your inbox all 52 weeks of the year.

Join us on Facebook at our Visit Fylde Coast Facebook Group

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @visitFyldeCoast

What do you think? Leave a comment

One Comment
  1. I sincerely hope we have the same staff in there that was there before…..

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *