Memorial Bench and the Bees

Memorial Bench and the Bees

You might have noticed a new bench outside Poundland near the traffic lights on Victoria Road West – and you’re probably intrigued about how it got there…

It’s a lovely black metal bench, with the motto ‘Lest we Forget’ on a field of red poppies. Look closely and you’ll find that there are two bees immortalised in the design, and they’re there for a reason.

Sharon Riley-Clarke and her husband Paul have placed the bench there.

They are beekeepers and after ‘uncapping’ the honey are left with beeswax which the bees produce themselves and is used to cover their honey in the hive.

It’s a very clean, sterile wax which Sharon uses to make Lipbalms, it is very brittle in its raw state so has to be blended with other oils (sweet almond oil in this case) and essential oils. It’s been very popular and has cured many skin ailments.

Sharon made 500 of these lipbalms and sold them at £2 each. She says “It cost us a few hundred pounds to make them and we poured all this back into the making of the bench.”

She added “The reason we have done this is because we have a massive respect for our armed forces past and present. My dad was in the RAF, and through my work as a paramedic, I have met many veterans (including a dambuster) and have heard so many fantastic stories and I recently met a 102 year old veteran who has a legion de honneur medal – the French equivalent to the Victoria Cross.”

Sharon and Paul helped to design this unique bench and it now takes pride of place on our own high street.

Memorial bench on Cleveleys High Street with help from the beesMemorial bench on Cleveleys High Street with help from the bees

2 Comments
    1. Jane Rabbit

Hi David, the recycled black ones on the prom are around £500 ish. You get them from Wyre Council, they will be able to tell you the correct price. The ‘Lest we Forget’ bench in Cleveleys was provided by a private fundraising venture. I don’t know how much they paid for it.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *