Gary Regan who moved to NY

Gary Regan who moved to NY

“Would you like some photos of Cleveleys in the 50’s and 60’s”

It’s too good an offer to turn down at the best of times, but this question came with an intriguing email including a cute chicken illustration sign off, from ‘Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY’.

You know what I’m like, I didn’t just want the photos, I wanted the life history, and so, ladies and gentlemen, I present Gary Regan, who shares his photos. Do you recognise anyone in these images from the past?

Gary explains, “My parents used to run the Bay Horse in Thornton, starting in 1968. Prior to that I lived in Cleveleys from ’53 till ’64, then we moved to Bolton for 4 years when my folks got into the pub business.

My grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Armstrong (Nan), walking Abilgail the poodle on Victoria Road. Circa 1960
My grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Armstrong (Nan), walking Abilgail the poodle on Victoria Road. Circa 1960

“I married very young (almost 19), and three years later I more or less ran away to NYC where I had a friend from Bolton who had lived there for 5 years. The rest you can see in the “Meet Gaz” section of my web site.”

Me with Abigail, circa 1960
Me with Abigail, circa 1960

Reading this page on his website Gary has written several books, publishes a website and works as a bartender – a very different life to here in quiet old Cleveleys.

He went on to add “My mother also owned Muriel Mason’s, a ladies dress shop on Victoria Road (is it a travel agents now?)”

My Dad, Bernard Regan (far left) with his workmates at Mullards putting on a show for the girls in the factory (they made valves for TVs and radios in Fleetwood.
My Dad, Bernard Regan (far left) with his workmates at Mullards putting on a show for the girls in the factory (they made valves for TVs and radios in Fleetwood.

I’m Baby Bear here in a panto we put on at the Congregational church.
I’m Baby Bear here in a panto we put on at the Congregational church.

It’s really fascinating who you get to meet, how and why. And how the world is becoming an increasingly smaller place.

The menu from the Bay Horse
The menu from the Bay Horse

Barmaids from the Bay Horse around 1970
Barmaids from the Bay Horse around 1970

Vi leaves Murial Masons, late 1980s
Vi leaves Murial Masons, late 1980s

Business Card from Muriel Mason's
Business Card from Muriel Mason’s

Bay Horse Hotel Menu

Vi Regan Local Community Award
Vi Regan Local Community Award

Bill Greenham, Best Man, and me on my wedding day in 1970
Bill Greenham, Best Man, and me on my wedding day in 1970

Bernard John Regan, circa 1975
Bernard John Regan, circa 1975

Bernard and Vi Regan, Bay Horse, circa 1970
Bernard and Vi Regan, Bay Horse, circa 1970

One Comment
  1. Remember Cleveleys well and drank underage at the Bay Horse. fantastic pub with a public bar. Lots of happy nights there.Thanks Ron

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *